Last spring I started sewing again after years away from the machine. Once I completed a few small projects and made a few stuffed animals, my friend asked me if I could make him some Hello Katya dolls.
Here’s how I did it:
I’ve never seen Ru Paul’s Drag Race, so I wasn’t familiar with the show. I did a little research about Hello Katya and learned that she is a character made by drag queen Katya Zamolodchikova. In season 7, there was a challenge to make a Hello Kitty-inspired look. Katya made Hello Katya, a Soviet friend for the Japanese cat.
The first thing I did was look for a cute and easy doll pattern. I ended up purchasing a Sparkle Starlet doll pattern from Gingermelon on Etsy. I highly recommend this sewing pattern. It is very easy to follow, and gives some great tips for making the best doll possible. I’ve made about 12 different dolls with this pattern in the year I’ve had it! You can see some of the other dolls that I’ve made with it here on my Etsy.
It took weeks of searching to find just the right fabric for the dress. Hello Katya wears a long sleeved shift dress in a neon and black houndstooth pattern. The recipient of the dolls scoured the internet and found this bright houndstooth print corduroy fabric. I used another Gingermelon pattern for the dress; I purchased the very versatile Wardrobe Essentials pattern and used the dress pattern with the longest sleeve length.
Doing the hair is my favorite part of making any doll! For Katya, I used Lion Brand Homespun Yarn in Golden. I needle felted the hair to the scalp, making sure to recreate the shape of her hairline.
I tried to keep the face simple. I used a black Sharpie for the eyes and eyebrows. Her lips and teeth are felt because I wanted them to stand out.
I also needed the bulk of the felt to hold the cigarette. The cigarette is a lollipop stick, trimmed to about 1 1/2″ long. Gray acrylic paint acts as ash at the end. I used my felting needle to create a small hole in the mouth that went into the head. The hold is very secure, and the cigarette can be removed in case she ever decides to quit.
I used red felt for her bow. Her head scarf and boots are both red Kona cotton. For the head scarf, I cut a square of fabric and picked threads away until the edges were uniformly frayed. Her little boots are pretty simple; I traced the foot of the leg pattern piece onto the fabric, then cut 4 for each doll. I hemmed the top by hand.
And of course, they needed flags of the Soviet Union! I used my Cricut to make the hammer and sickle shape out of yellow paper. I used a thin dowel for the stick, and red reflective scrapbooking paper for the flag.